Apple announcement today - new yellow color option for iPhone 14 - with matching $49 case

NewsKrawler

Mar 7, 2023, 10:35:52 PM3/7/23
https://wraltechwire.com/2023/03/07/apple-launches-iphone-14-plus-new-colors-including-canary-yellow/

Apple today announced a new yellow iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus,
adding even more color choices to the lineup this spring.

Lockstep in tandem with its new Yellow color option for iPhone 14 and
iPhone 14 Plus models, Apple has made its silicone cases for the iPhone 14
series available in four new colors, including Canary Yellow, Olive, Sky,
and Iris.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/03/07/iphone-14-silicone-cases-four-new-colors/
In tandem with its new Yellow color option for iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus
models, Apple has made its silicone cases for the iPhone 14 series
available in four new colors, including Canary Yellow, Olive, Sky, and
Iris.

The new cases are being made available for iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus,
iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max, and they can be purchased from
Apple's online store for $49 or at Apple's retail stores.

badgolferman

Mar 8, 2023, 7:04:20 AM3/8/23
Wow! That's almost as exciting as all the new emojis in iOS 16.4...

--
"If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

NewsKrawler

Mar 8, 2023, 11:15:04 AM3/8/23
On 2023-03-08, badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's almost as exciting as all the new emojis in iOS 16.4...

Many must care enough for Yellow for Apple to have manufactured it.
Apple must think enough people care for Yellow for sales to increase.

You can assume many care for Yellow or Apple wouldn't have announced it.
Time will tell if enough people care for Yellow for sales to increase.

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/apple-iphone-14-yellow-hands-on/
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/03/07/apple-expanding-emergency-sos-via-satellite/
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-announces-yellow-iPhone-14-and-iPhone-14-Plus_id146035
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-07/apple-debuts-yellow-iphone-14-to-boost-interest-until-new-model
https://gizmodo.com/apple-iphone-14-plus-yellow-color-banana-phone-15-scree-1850196853
https://telecomtalk.info/apple-introduces-new-yellow-iphone14-and-iphone14plus/683197/
https://9to5mac.com/2023/03/07/yellow-iphone-14-announced/?extended-comments=1
https://expatguideturkey.com/apple-prepares-to-release-yellow-iphone-14s/
https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/7/23626371/apple-yellow-iphone-14-plus-color-spring
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2023/03/07/apple-reveals-yellow-iphone-14/11418777002/
https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_14_iphone_14_plus_yellow_color_model_launch_expected-news-57779.php
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3944892-apple-unveils-yellow-iphone-14-expands-emergency-sos-more-countries
https://instyleaustralia.com.au/culture/apple-iphone-14-yellow
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/gadgets-news/apple-unveils-new-iphone-cases-watch-bands-all-the-details/articleshow/98488999.cms
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-14/6.1-inch-display-128gb-yellow-unlocked
https://mashable.com/article/apple-iphone-14-plus-yellow-color
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2023/03/hello-yellow-apple-introduces-new-iphone-14-and-iphone-14-plus/
https://www.samaaenglish.tv/news/40028897/tech-is-this-apples-most-stunning-iphone-yet-check-out-new-yellow-iphone-14
https://www.asiaone.com/digital/say-hello-new-apple-iphone-14-and-14-plus-yellow
https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/electronics/iphone-14-new-color-yellow
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/the-iphone-14-does-yellow-very-mellow/
https://www.engadget.com/the-iphone-14-now-comes-in-yellow-133841844.html
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/03/04/top-stories-yellow-iphone-14/
https://www.aol.com/news/got-hands-apples-yellow-iphone-194117068.html

badgolferman

Mar 8, 2023, 11:36:01 AM3/8/23
NewsKrawler wrote:

>> That's almost as exciting as all the new emojis in iOS 16.4...
>
>Many must care enough for Yellow for Apple to have manufactured it.
>Apple must think enough people care for Yellow for sales to increase.

Yes, those who must stand out and demand attention.

NewsKrawler

Mar 8, 2023, 12:35:16 PM3/8/23
Could they achieve their objective with any iPhone & the $49 Yellow case?

Jolly Roger

Mar 8, 2023, 2:41:01 PM3/8/23
On 2023-03-08, badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> NewsKrawler wrote:
>
>>> That's almost as exciting as all the new emojis in iOS 16.4...
>>
>> Many must care enough for Yellow for Apple to have manufactured it.
>> Apple must think enough people care for Yellow for sales to increase.

It's a color. Most people have color preferences - even adults.

> Yes, those who must stand out and demand attention.

The fact that you are this upset by it says way more about you than the
people you are insulting. Troll on if it helps you feel better though.

JR

sms

Mar 8, 2023, 3:01:52 PM3/8/23
On 3/8/2023 4:04 AM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> Wow! That's almost as exciting as all the new emojis in iOS 16.4...

Well the 14 and 14 Plus haven't been selling well because of things like
the 60Hz display. The yellow color is sure to jump start sales.

badgolferman

Mar 8, 2023, 3:35:57 PM3/8/23
I have a 14. What is it with the 60Hz display that's bad? I don't
notice anything. Tell me so I can get rid of it quickly.

nospam

Mar 8, 2023, 4:10:08 PM3/8/23
In article <tuapje$12gnr$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Well the 14 and 14 Plus haven't been selling well

oh yes they have.

according to the list linked in another post, the iphone 14 is the 7th
best selling smartphone worldwide.

note that the list covers a year and the iphone 14 has only been
available for less than half that, which is why the 13 ranks higher.

> because of things like
> the 60Hz display.

rubbish.

only 4 of the top 10 smartphones have a variable refresh rate display.

the difference is sometimes useful for gaming, however, it's not that
significant for the most common tasks, such as email, texting, web
surfing, etc.

nospam

Mar 8, 2023, 4:10:09 PM3/8/23
In article <tuarjc$12t8b$1...@dont-email.me>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> sms wrote:
> >Well the 14 and 14 Plus haven't been selling well because of things
> >like the 60Hz display. The yellow color is sure to jump start sales.
>
> I have a 14. What is it with the 60Hz display that's bad? I don't
> notice anything. Tell me so I can get rid of it quickly.

it's fine and the iphone 14 is #7 on the list you posted. it's selling
quite well. the 14 plus not so much, but neither did the 13 mini.

he's just trolling.

NewsKrawler

Mar 8, 2023, 4:33:54 PM3/8/23
On 2023-03-08, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Many must care enough for Yellow for Apple to have manufactured it.
>>> Apple must think enough people care for Yellow for sales to increase.
>
> It's a color.

Most people don't seem to care all that much about a phone's color.

> Most people have color preferences - even adults.

If they did care so much, why not just buy the $49 Apple Yellow case?

>> Yes, those who must stand out and demand attention.
>
> The fact that you are this upset by it says way more about you than the
> people you are insulting. Troll on if it helps you feel better though.

Does it interest you to wonder why Apple made such a big deal about Yellow?

Andy Burnelli

Mar 8, 2023, 4:41:48 PM3/8/23
nospam wrote:

> only 4 of the top 10 smartphones have a variable refresh rate display.

My Android phone tells me what the rate display is at any given moment.

If iOS has that option that my Android clearly has to tell you the display
rate at any given moment, then maybe badgolferman can turn it on to test.

How would badgolferman turn on that "show display rate" option for iOS?
--
Hint: Another difference that Steve needs to add to his Google document.

Jolly Roger

Mar 8, 2023, 4:42:23 PM3/8/23
On 2023-03-08, NewsKrawler <news...@krawl.org> wrote:

>> It's a color.
>
> Most people don't seem to care all that much about a phone's color.

I'd have to see some valid statistics to agree to that. Apparently Apple
and other manufacturers think enough people care for them to create
products in different color choices. And certainly Apple knows better
than anyone how many people choose colors other than the default choice.

>> Most people have color preferences - even adults.
>
> If they did care so much, why not just buy the $49 Apple Yellow case?

Again, personal preference. Choosing a color when purchasing costs
nothing extra, and some people either use a clear case or no case at
all. It's frankly strange that this has to be explained to anyone, but
then again the people with their panties all twisted about this to the
point of insulting people over it are juvenile trolls, so there's that.

>>> Yes, those who must stand out and demand attention.
>>
>> The fact that you are this upset by it says way more about you than
>> the people you are insulting. Troll on if it helps you feel better
>> though.
>
> Does it interest you to wonder why Apple made such a big deal about
> Yellow?

Apple has a long history of introducing different colors of various
products, so no; it's not particularly interesting. What is interesting
is how often the trolls come out of the woodwork to insult Apple and
Apple's customers whenever it happens - like clockwork. Apparently these
people overflow with juvenile hatred and feel compelled to lash out at
random strangers over utterly trivial things. It's pretty sad behavior.

Jolly Roger

Mar 8, 2023, 4:43:55 PM3/8/23
On 2023-03-08, sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 3/8/2023 4:04 AM, badgolferman wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Wow! That's almost as exciting as all the new emojis in iOS 16.4...
>
> Well the 14 and 14 Plus haven't been selling well

Nonsense.

sms

Mar 8, 2023, 4:47:17 PM3/8/23
You don't notice the difference between a 60Hz display and a 120Hz
display unless you look at them side-by-side, then the difference is
apparent. It's not that a 60Hz display is bad, it's that a 90Hz or 120Hz
display is noticeably better.

It was actually pretty shocking that the 14 and 14 Plus had a 60Hz OLED
display considering their price points, see
<https://www.tomsguide.com/opinion/iphone-14-sticks-with-a-60hz-display-and-thats-ridiculous>.
This would be unheard of for Android devices where even sub-$250 devices
have 120Hz OLED displays.

What happened with the iPhone was that there needed to be clear
differentiation between the pro and non pro models in order for
purchasers to opt for the more expensive pro models, and the display
quality was one of the primary differentiators. The cameras were the
other big differentiators. That strategy worked beautifully well, see
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2022/10/22/apple-iphone-14-plus-sales-iphone-14-pro-max-success/?sh=524d779822a9>.
The profit per unit on the pro models is much higher, despite their
higher component cost.

for a good comparison of pro versus non-pro see
<https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-14-vs-iphone-14-pro/>.

Still, you're probably over-reacting by thinking that you should quickly
get rid of your 14 and buy a 14 Pro. You should wait for the 15 Pro with
USB-C before upgrading. /s

nospam

Mar 8, 2023, 5:02:25 PM3/8/23
In article <tuavom$13cnq$2...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > I have a 14. What is it with the 60Hz display that's bad? I don't
> > notice anything. Tell me so I can get rid of it quickly.
>
> You don't notice the difference between a 60Hz display and a 120Hz
> display unless you look at them side-by-side, then the difference is
> apparent.

only in certain conditions, such as gaming.

for the most common tasks, such as email, messaging, web surfing, etc.,
where the content is static (or mostly so) a faster refresh rate has no
benefit.

even watching videos won't matter because the video is almost always
24-30 fps.

note that apple's display is a *variable* refresh rate that ranges from
1hz to 120hz to adapt to the content currently being displayed. much of
the time, it's less than 30hz because the content doesn't need anything
faster. this also conserves power, versus competing devices that are
always at maximum speed.

> It was actually pretty shocking that the 14 and 14 Plus had a 60Hz OLED
> display considering their price points,

it's not shocking at all, and for several reasons, one of which are
supply constraints for the variable refresh displays.

for apple to have included a variable refresh display in the 14 and 14
plus, they'd need an additional 100-150 million units. that's not a
small number.

another reason, as noted above, is that the difference is not that
significant in most situations for most people.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 8, 2023, 5:08:29 PM3/8/23
nospam wrote:

> note that apple's display is a *variable* refresh rate that ranges from
> 1hz to 120hz to adapt to the content currently being displayed. much of
> the time, it's less than 30hz because the content doesn't need anything
> faster. this also conserves power, versus competing devices that are
> always at maximum speed.

I just turned on the Android switch to show the refresh rate in real time:
<https://i.postimg.cc/59zcmYFd/devopt07.jpg> Show Refresh Rate = on

How do we show that variable refresh rate in real time on iOS devices?

badgolferman

Mar 8, 2023, 5:08:38 PM3/8/23
Yet another irony meter just exploded!

sms

Mar 8, 2023, 6:38:38 PM3/8/23
On 3/8/2023 2:08 PM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote >> Apple has a long history of introducing different colors of various
>> products, so no; it's not particularly interesting. What is interesting
>> is how often the trolls come out of the woodwork to insult Apple and
>> Apple's customers whenever it happens - like clockwork. Apparently these
>> people overflow with juvenile hatred and feel compelled to lash out at
>> random strangers over utterly trivial things. It's pretty sad behavior.
>
> Yet another irony meter just exploded!

Indeed. For one of this newsgroups most profligate trolls, to post that,
is indeed amusing.

Andy Burnelli

Mar 9, 2023, 12:20:09 AM3/9/23
sms wrote:

> Apparently these
>>> people overflow with juvenile hatred and feel compelled to lash out at
>>> random strangers over utterly trivial things. It's pretty sad behavior.
>>
>> Yet another irony meter just exploded!
>
> Indeed. For one of this newsgroups most profligate trolls, to post that,
> is indeed amusing.

For the adults on this newsgroup, and for the permanent record...
1. Everyone but JR discussed the incontrovertible facts of what Apple did.
2. For whatever reasons, Jolly Roger _hates_ what Apple clearly did.
3. The iKook has no _adult_ defense to that fact - so - he lashes out.

This thread is a classic case of the iKooks being what I've been saying
they are, as I understand them - based on 3 fundamental character flaws.
a. Jolly Roger owns both a low IQ and as a result, a lack of education
b. Therefore, Jolly Roger was told he was stupid and ignorant his whole
life, so he's desperate to fall for Apple's religious advertising.
c. Where Jolly Roger derives appreciable self esteem from the presumed
superiority of "his" decision to pay more for Apple products.

*Nobody can discuss _anything_ negative about Apple in JR's presence*

It's not allowed to ever discuss any fact about Apple where the iKooks
perceive that fact to hold Apple in even a slightly negative light.

*Apple announcement today - new yellow color option for iPhone 14 - with matching $49 case
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/Fhyivd8Cgh8>

Like a stunted fifth-grader told by his buddies that Santa Claus is a
marketing gimmick, he lashed out at everyone who was simply noticing what
Apple did (which clearly is a marketing gimmick revolving around colors).

He can't dispute what Apple did (although he certainly would if he could).
So he lashes out, viciously so, at those who simply noticed what Apple did.

The most apropos analogy is a religious zealot defending any perceived
slight against Mohammed, whom they truly believe to be their savior.

*The iKooks defend Apple to the death*, no matter what.
*But, since they're have no education & low IQ, it's always childishly so*

The don't own the _adult_ skills to respond to the facts any other way.

Paradoxically, what's really going on to cause this vicious hatred is...
*Jolly Roger _hates_ what Apple did because it opens Apple up to scrutiny*

Discussion of fact isn't allowed on this newsgroup, if it's not
complementary to Apple of course (and hence, pejorative to Jolly Roger's
self esteem which is appreciably derived from the Apple advertising.)

Jolly Roger

Mar 9, 2023, 1:37:27 AM3/9/23
On 2023-03-08, badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's a matter of record that you immediately resorted to insulting
anyone who would dare to want a yellow iPhone in this very thread.

Alan

Mar 9, 2023, 1:50:31 PM3/9/23
This was the second post you made in this thread:

"> Many must care enough for Yellow for Apple to have manufactured it.
> Apple must think enough people care for Yellow for sales to increase.

Yes, those who must stand out and demand attention."

Explain.

Alan

Mar 9, 2023, 1:51:11 PM3/9/23
On 2023-03-08 13:33, NewsKrawler wrote:

>> It's a color.
>
> Most people don't seem to care all that much about a phone's color.

That must be why all cars a black.

No, wait...

Alan

Mar 9, 2023, 1:52:37 PM3/9/23
On 2023-03-08 13:41, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> only 4 of the top 10 smartphones have a variable refresh rate display.
>
> My Android phone tells me what the rate display is at any given moment.

You gave up screen real estate to be told that?